The Roman Agora, Argos
In the flat area east of the Larissa hill was founded the Agora, the centre of the public life of Argos city. The traveller Pausanias, who visited the city in the 2nd century AD., describes in every detail the monuments and the public buildings that adorned the site. A part of the ancient Agora was revealed during the excavations that are conducted by the French Archaeological School from 1952 up to now in collaboration with the D΄ Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities of Ministry of Culture.
The configuration of the Agora was begun according to the philological testimonies and the discoveries of excavations during the 6th century and was completed at the end of the 4th century BC. The public character of the site was suppressed at the end of the 4th century AD. and the place of the splendid monuments was occupied progressively by private residences and workshops.